Today is day 4 of our discussion on communication. It is almost midterms…have you talked to your professors yet? Talking to a professor can be stressful, what do you say? Today I am going to give you 6 tips for talking to your professor.
1. Schedule an appointment or stop by their office hours. Remember at the beginning of the semester you got your syllabus. On that syllabus should tell you when their office hours are and where their office is. I highly recommend making an appointment, you can e-mail them or ask them at the end of class.
2. If you make an appointment…be on time.
3. Not sure what to call your professor…ask. By now you should know if they prefer Dr. _____ or if they prefer to be called by their first name…but when in doubt, ask.
4. Choose your attitude. Go into the conversation knowing that your professor is going to help you. If you are struggling in the class and show up telling them that their class is to much work or they haven’t explained the material well enough then you will probably not have a worth while conversation.
5. Have something specific to discuss with your professor. Do you have questions about the course content? Think you need additional help or tutoring for the course. Take the time to think about what you want to discuss and you are more likely to get the answers you need.
6. Be prepared for the meeting. If you have questions about a grade, take the exam/paper. If you are unsure what material is important to study, take your notes and books. Also, write down any questions that you have so you remember to ask them.
It can feel intimidating to talk to your professor, but if you follow the tips above the experience can be less stressful.
Take time to talk to your professors outside of class, you might get advice that will help you in the class and if it is a professor in your major you could earn a valuable contact for post grad, whether they give you a job reference or help you with grad school.
Have you talked to any of your professors outside of class? Why or why not? Tell us in the comment section and you could be our next Friday drawing winner.
Want some more advice about talking to your professor, CLICK HERE